Friday, March 9, 2012

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


By Suzanne Collins
Published- October 1, 2008

Summary:
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to death before- and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weight survival against humanity and life against love.

What I thought:
Well, it's taken me almost 4 years to find this book? Why?! I think it was all the big "Kafuffle" the movie brought out and with it coming out  I had to see what all the commotion was about. I just wish I read them sooner! I couldn't put the book down! When I did, I dreamt of The Hunger Games and couldn't wait to jump back into it. I went through 200+ pages in a few hours until I had to go to sleep.

The story is told by Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old girl who lives in District 12 with her mother and sister, Primrose. Her father died in a mining explosion when she was 11. Katniss steps up to take her sister's place in the Games along side of Peeta Mellark, the other tribute from her District. There is one boy and one girl picked from each of the 12 Districts for a total of 24 Tributes (contenders) in the Games and all between the ages of 12-18. Basically, it's "Last Man Standing." Each teen is meant to hunt down the others and murder them, in any way possible.

I could feel what the characters felt. I love Katniss. To me, Katniss somewhat reminded me of myself. She is very strong and focused but doesn't seem to let anyone come too close to her or her getting close to others in her life, scared to let people in at one moment then watch them vanish the next. Not liking to be alone.

The end of the book made me sad for Peeta. His love for Katniss grows throughout the book and Katniss thinks it's all a show for the cameras when really it's not. She has this boy, Peeta, who admitted to loving her and then there is Gale. Her best friend back in the District who she hunts with and talks to. Throughout the book she is thinking of Gale's reaction to the kissing and flirting going on between her and Peeta which makes me wonder if she has feelings for Gale. She cares for them both and I think she doesn't want to hurt either of them but again, she doesn't know how to accept her feelings and is confused. I will have to read the other books to see if the "Love Triangle"  goes any further but as of right now I love Peeta. I grew to love his character (because at first I didn't like him much!) As for Gale, there wasn't very much of him in the book so it's hard for me to say right now.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. It's an amazing read and sucks you in. You won't want to put it down! If a book leaves you feeling breathless, feeling the raw emotion that the characters feel, you know it's a good read! Good thing I bought all three! Catching Fire, Here I Come!


My Rating:



2 comments:

  1. Awesome Review! :D You already know how much I love these books haha, so are you coming with me to see the movie or what?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes I do! I loved it also! It was a very quick read. I was sitting on the edge biting my nails along with her haha. I'm happy I got a change to read them!
      I like my first review too haha! And Yes! I want to go to the movie with you!!!

      Delete